Saturday, November 25, 2006

Black Friday, Christmas madness.

Happy Holidays everyone!...

Happy Kwaanza..Happy Haunakah...Merry Christmas..

The time has come that those words will become a mainstay.
But before all that, let me take time to reflect on the monstrosity known as "Black Friday".

Yesterday, myself and six members of my family woke up at an ungodly hour, drove an hour and a half, and braved the crowds, all for the love of the sale. Granted, they were very good sales. but sales none the less.

We heard the rumors. "Don't go to Best Buy! People are knocking people over and fighting." We saw the lines. A line in a well known department store that stretched completely around the store and out into the parking lot.

Luckily, we didn't have to join the unfortuntate souls in that line. Why do we embrace consumerism so much? What drives us to buy as much as we can?

Next subject: Christmas madness.
It makes me laugh when I see people dreading the holidays. To me, they can be "the best of times or the worst of times", to quote Charles Dickens.
I shall attempt to expound on that subject more in the future.

No comments: